Thursday, February 2, 2012

Daily To-Do List for School

As teachers, there are so many little things we have to remember to do every day.  It's easy to forget some of the important small tasks you need to complete to make it through the day.  One tool to help with this dilemma is a daily to-do list.  Here's how to put it together:

  1. Find some quiet time to sit down and think through your day.  This might mean that you'll need to wake up early to have some time alone.
  2. Grab a sheet of paper and a pencil.  Coffee is optional, but it really helps.
  3. Make a list of all of the things that absolutely have to get done before the students get to your classroom.
  4. Make a list of things that you need to do during your plan time, lunch, or whenever you have a spare moment.  These things should be important, but not absolutely essential.  There's a good chance you might not get to any of these items if your plan time and lunch get taken up with any of the many "emergencies" that may pop up during the day.
  5. Make a list of things that absolutely have to get done before you can leave the building.
  6. Make a list of things that absolutely need to be completed on specific days of the week.
  7. Edit your lists.  Add, remove, rearrange.  Try to set yourself up for success by making the list as manageable as possible.
  8. Type up your list on your computer and print out one copy.
  9. Bring your list to school with you and give it a trial run.  Add, remove, rearrange as needed.
  10. After the trial run, re-type your list.
  11. Keep revising your list until it works for you.
I always write in extra to-dos on my list each day, but I use my printed out list as my overall guide.  I like to print out a new list each day and write on it.  I try to print it on the back of something that was going to be recycled anyway.  I carry it around with me on a clipboard so that it's always handy, and I can find it easily.

My friend printed out her main list and put it in a sheet protector.  She uses a vis-a-vis marker to check off her items each day, and then she erases everything at the end of the day.

Having this list has really helped me to stay on track during the day.  Does anyone else have any tips that have helped you to stay organized at school?

2 comments:

  1. Any chance you will post your list (maybe modified) as an example? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. smgrochowski, I'm so glad you asked! I thought about posting my own list, but didn't think anyone would be interested.

    ReplyDelete